At Gato Guard Pest Control, we understand the importance of keeping your home and property safe from unwanted visitors. While some pests can be relatively harmless, others can pose a significant threat to your property and your health. Nuisance wildlife, in particular, can cause significant damage to your home and garden while also posing a risk to your family’s safety. In this post, we’ll explore what nuisance wildlife is, why it’s a problem, and how Gato Guard can help.
What is Nuisance Wildlife?
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) defines nuisance wildlife as an animal or animals exhibiting behavior that:
- Causes (or is about to cause) property damage.
- Presents a threat to public safety.
- Causes an annoyance within, under or upon a building.
These are animals that can cause damage to your property or pose a threat to your family’s safety. Some examples include raccoons, squirrels, opossums, bats, and snakes, among others.
Why is Nuisance Wildlife a Problem?
While these animals are an essential part of our ecosystem, they can become a nuisance when they invade our homes and properties. Nuisance wildlife can cause significant damage to your property, including:
- Chewing through electrical wires, which can also cause fires.
- Tearing insulation from walls and attics, which can lead to higher energy bills and mold growth.
- Gnawing on wooden structures, which can weaken the foundation of your home.
- Contaminating your home with their feces, which can lead to the spread of disease.
- Some animals, such as snakes and bats, can be venomous or carry diseases that pose a danger to humans and pets.
At Gato Guard, we know how important it is to remove nuisance wildlife from your property safely and humanely. Our team of trained professionals will assess your property and develop a customized plan using a combination of exclusion techniques, trapping, and relocation to remove nuisance wildlife from your property.
Here are some statistics on nuisance wildlife that may surprise you:
- According to a report by the Tampa Bay Times, there were over 40,000 nuisance wildlife complaints reported statewide throughout Florida in 2020.
- According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, over 70% of reported human-wildlife conflicts in Florida involve raccoons, squirrels, and opossums.
- Some species, such as raccoons and bats, can carry diseases like rabies and histoplasmosis, which can be transmitted to humans.
- The average cost of repairing damage caused by a raccoon in a residential attic can range from $500 to $5,000.
- The University of Florida estimates that the cost of damage caused by wildlife to Florida homes and businesses is around $300 million per year.
How Can I Prevent Nuisance Wildlife?
The simple presence or sightings of wildlife, even when in urban areas should not be considered a nuisance. Many species of wildlife in Florida have adapted to survive in urban and suburban areas and can often coexist with humans without creating conflicts.
However, by taking the following steps you can help to prevent nuisance wildlife from hanging out around your property.
- Place all garbage in sealed and secure receptacles.
- Keeping yards and lawns well-maintained and free of trash or debris.
- Pick up any fruit that has fallen from trees in the yard.
- Trim trees and plants away from building walls and roofs.
- Clean below bird feeders to avoid scavengers.
Prevention goes a long way, but sometimes nuisance wildlife is unavoidable. Here at Gato Guard Pest Control, we are familiar with the challenges of dealing with nuisance wildlife. That’s why we offer professional Wildlife Removal Services to help you reclaim your property and keep your family safe. Our team of trained professionals is dedicated to providing you with effective, humane solutions to your wildlife problems. So if you need Wildlife Removal Services in Central Florida, call Gato Guard TODAY!