Termites are one of the most destructive pests that can invade your home. These tiny insects can cause significant damage to the structure of your home and can cost homeowners thousands of dollars in repairs. According to the National Pest Management Association, termites cause over $5 billion in property damage in the U.S. annually.
Why are Termites Dangerous?
Termites are often called the “silent destroyer” because they can cause damage to your home without any noticeable signs until it’s too late. Termites are known to feed on cellulose materials like wood, paper, and cardboard, which are commonly found in homes. As termites eat away at the structure of your home, it weakens the foundation and can cause significant damage. In some cases, the damage can be so severe that the structure of the home is compromised, making it unsafe to live in.
Here are some interesting facts and statistics on termites that may surprise you:
- There are over 2,000 known termite species in the world.
- According to the National Pest Management Association, Termites can consume up to 15 pounds of wood per week.
- Termites do not need to sleep.
- Termites are social insects that live in large colonies that can contain hundreds of thousands or even millions of individual termites.
- According to National Geographic, Termite queens can live up to 25 years and lay up to 30,000 eggs per day.
- Termites have been around for more than 250 million years, making them one of the oldest insect species on earth, according to Smithsonian Magazine.
What Can You Do To Protect Your Home?
Gato Guard offers a range of solutions to protect your home from termites. Firstly, homes should be pretreated for termites during construction to deter termites. However, if the problem has already appeared, Gato Guard also offers the following:
Termite Baiting: This is when Gato Guard uses bait stations that are strategically placed around the perimeter of your home to attract termites. Once the termites feed on the bait, they take it back to the colony, which can help eliminate the entire colony.
Termidor Liquid Treatment: This is a special type of termiticide and insecticide that is applied around the exterior perimeter of the home or along the foundation’s walls. According to Termidor, this powerful substance can eliminate termites on contact, as well as after it is consumed by colony members. Termidor treatment exists in both a liquid and dry form, which allows it to be used to treat all three major types of termites.
Fumigation: In severe cases of infestation, fumigation may be needed. Fumigation may last 24 to 48 hours, during which the home is tented with tarp and fumigant is administered to penetrate deep into the home’s structures. Termite fumigation must be performed by a qualified termite control professional, like Gato Guard.
SO DON’T LET TERMITES DESTROY YOUR HOME! Contact Gato Guard to protect your home from these silent destroyers. Call Gato Guard TODAY!